Batteries in our Rental Club Car

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Platinum member
Default Batteries in our Rental Club Car

This will take a little 'splainin'. We're renting a house and with it comes a golf cart (Club Car). We haven't driven it very much because we didn't feel it had power enough to get us where we wanted to go and back.

Today I thought, maybe the batteries need water. There are 6 with 4 cells each. I topped off every battery with the filler bottle that was left with the house. I then plugged it in to charge. The charger kicked in and I can hear the batteries boiling and there is liquid spilling out on the garage floor. I know that is acid, but what I want to know is this normal?

I have to wonder if the charger has gone bad and is over-charging the batteries. Whenever it finishes charging, I'm going to wash out the garage, but I'm not familiar with this sort of thing.

So, is it normal for the batteries to overflow after filling with water or any time for that matter?

Thanks.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Default batteries

too much water and it's boiling out. This is battery acid and will permanently discolor the concrete. I would unplug it immediately and flush the garage floor.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
This will take a little 'splainin'. We're renting a house and with it comes a golf cart (Club Car). We haven't driven it very much because we didn't feel it had power enough to get us where we wanted to go and back.

Today I thought, maybe the batteries need water. There are 6 with 4 cells each. I topped off every battery with the filler bottle that was left with the house. I then plugged it in to charge. The charger kicked in and I can hear the batteries boiling and there is liquid spilling out on the garage floor. I know that is acid, but what I want to know is this normal?

I have to wonder if the charger has gone bad and is over-charging the batteries. Whenever it finishes charging, I'm going to wash out the garage, but I'm not familiar with this sort of thing.

So, is it normal for the batteries to overflow after filling with water or any time for that matter?

Thanks.

You probably over watered the batteries. Batteries should only be watered when completely charged and only enough to cover the plates. Occasionally batteries may be "sulfated" if not used or charged regularly and not produce their full capacity. Repeated cycles of a light discharge (4 or 5) followed by a full charge, will usually bring the batteries back to full or nearly full capacity. This is assuming they are of the appropriate age. If you have a turkey baster (rubber ball on the end), you should try to remove some of the electrolyte from the overfilled cells, then follow the above steps. Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for the replies. I thought that battery filler container was made to shut off when the batteries were at the optimum liquid capacity. All the plates were covered, but most all the cells took some water. None were filled to the top of the slots in the battery fill holes. It's quit charging now and I've hosed out the garage. It looks like this has happened several times before. There are white stains in several spots in the garage.

Thanks again for the replies.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Veteran member
Exclamation

This site explaines how to fill the batteries.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/Battery...ngDiagram.aspx
Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I thought that battery filler container was made to shut off when the batteries were at the optimum liquid capacity. All the plates were covered, but most all the cells took some water. None were filled to the top of the slots in the battery fill holes. It's quit charging now and I've hosed out the garage. It looks like this has happened several times before. There are white stains in several spots in the garage.

Thanks again for the replies.
My Par Car does the same, and it has a waterfill system so the water is not too high. And that's eight batteries gurgling.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Platinum member

This is the type of filler container that is here at the rental. I thought that wouldn't over-fill the cells.

http://www.tooltopia.com/plews_lubri...aign=nextag_r1

Old 11-22-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
This is the type of filler container that is here at the rental. I thought that wouldn't over-fill the cells.

I bought the same model filler, but could not trust it to not overfill my batteries. I'd have to let it release a little water into the battery and then check the water level repeatedly to add the correct amount of water to my batteries.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Sage

Quote:

If that battery filler is working properly, you're right - it shouldn't have overfilled the cells.

Another reason you're glad you bought a gas cart for yourselves, eh?

Bill
Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
If that battery filler is working properly, you're right - it shouldn't have overfilled the cells.

Another reason you're glad you bought a gas cart for yourselves, eh?

Bill
Yep!! It even has a maintenance free battery. I know, I know, they still need maintenance, but the thought is nice. And......there's only one.

The main reason I even attempted to do anything with this electric is that we're having company arrive this coming weekend and we thought it would be nice to have the two carts to use while they're here. We'll have the gas to fall back on if the juice runs ot on the electric.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Sage

Sounds like you did everything right except adding water before charging. May have been different if you checked batteries just to be sure plates were covered, then charged, then added water after charging complete??

As far as acid on floor? If there is a way to get the stain out, I have never learned it. There is always a rug under my carts now.....
Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Platinum member

Thanks for the in depth information. This just makes me more sure we did the right thing by purchasing a gas cart for our own use.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for the in depth information. This just makes me more sure we did the right thing by purchasing a gas cart for our own use.
Sorry this happened to you. There are valid reasons for gas versus electric discussed at length before, but just for the sake of fairness for folks reading this thread, I must say I my electric golf carts.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.