Non Residents Using Village Recreation Facilities

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default Non Residents Using Village Recreation Facilities

FYI: This information was excerpted from The Villages Computer Club's member JMAX who writes "Jmax bits" for subscribers....

Of Interest to Village Residents Only:
Non Residents Using Village Recreation Facilities

On April 8, 2009 the AMENITY AUTHORITY BOARD (AAC) voted to allow local non-Village residents to our recreation center by a vote of 3 to 2.

This means that each support group /club in The Villages will be allowed to have 10 NON RESIDENTS at each meeting or function. There are presently 31 Support Groups/Clubs using our recreation centers with no limit as to how many groups may be formed in the future. Presently, this would allow 310 additional NON RESIDENTS to use our facilities.

These NON RESIDENTS DO NOT PAY OUR AMENITY FEES...and I believe that a Group/Club should be required to pay a USER FEE if they want to bring in Non Residents.

For your information: CDD1 and CDD2 VOTED AGAINST ALLOWING NON RESIDENTS USE OF THE FACILITIES....BUT CDD3, CDD4 AND LADY LAKE VOTED TO ALLOW NON RESIDENTS TO USE THE FACILITIES.

You can contact your Representative and let them know that you do not want NON RESIDENTS using the Recreational Facilities at:

CDD1 CARL BELL 750-1251

CDD2 MARTY ROTHBARD 753-9065

CDD3 JOHN WILCOX 259-4380

CDD4 RICH LAMBRECHT 751-4380

LADY LAKE ELDON SHELDON 750-0198

NOW IS THE TIME TO VOICE YOUR DISAPPROVAL or APPROVAL of what the AMENITY AUTHORITY BOARD has authorized with your money. Sincerely, Mickey Braffet btbraffet@aol.com

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 05-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Barb and Muncle? Which rep belongs to which villages?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 PM

I don't like the policy, but believe it only applies north of 466.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Barb and Muncle? Which rep belongs to which villages?
Gracie, we're in CDD3 Polo Ridge but not sure about the newer areas.

Would suggest that you email Mickey Braffet btbraffet@aol.com (noted in the article) and maybe she can help you. Or, call any name listed and they may be able to direct you further.....b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Platinum member

www.districtgov.org

This website will help you figure out which district you are in....and who your rep is.

All Districts 1-8 have reps right now....Lady Lake is not a district or in a district but there is a part of TV's that are in Lady Lake....however they have their own rep. as well.

Suzy Toronto
Old 05-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Sage

I believe that the part of TV in Lake County is in the City of Lady Lake. This includes all of the historic side, Spanish Springs, La Plaza Grande and the Villages West of 441 near Spanish Springs that are in Lake Cty. The area is about the same size or larger than the part of TV in Marion County.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 PM

The April 8th AAC meeting minutes are posted at http://www.districtgov.org/vccdd/wn-aac.asp and indicate that this is for approved medical-related support group meetings.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Default Non-residents

A question: Why would they allow non-residents to use the facilities if they are not charging them the amenity fee?

How would you folks feel about someone from the neighboring area using the recreational areas if they also paid the fee?

Charging the fee would seem a reasonable action for the board to take in authorizing non-resident usage, hence my first question.

Just wondering.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Sage

Maybe they are trying to be friendly to the neighbors.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-15-2009, 06:09 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canabarrybarb View Post
The April 8th AAC meeting minutes are posted at http://www.districtgov.org/vccdd/wn-aac.asp and indicate that this is for approved medical-related support group meetings.

Yeah, folks, before anybody blows a gasket, note what organizations are affected. As Canabarrybarb say, these are only the medical support groups. We're not talking about Tall Trees Poker and Animal Husbandry Club or the Saturday Santiago Social Spinners Society and Salsa Sisterhood. We're talking about AA meetings and Alzheimer support groups. We're talking about people dealing with diabetes or cancer or Parkinsons. If allowing non-Villagers into these groups helps them at all, I'm for it.

Could it be that The Villages Computer Club is just jealous that they would not qualify.

Note to Gracie: At this time, the members of the AAC represent only those areas north of 466A. The southern area has not yet evolved where the Sumter Landing Community Development District and its CDDs are represented. Have no idea when that will take place.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Has the form of governance been changed in the North side?

Does this occur in the area mentioned because of action on the part of the residents? Why is it not happening south of 466? How can we continue to keep it the way it is south? How can we keep non residents out in the North?

I need to get more informed and involved when I return.

Should I save my Confederate money because the South will rise again???
Old 05-15-2009, 06:47 AM

Muncie:

Thank you for making this key clarification. the Villages has many wonderful support groups for health related issues (just look at the back pages of the Recreation News on Thursday). These groups bring in speakers and health care professionals to offer guidance to those afflicted by the various conditions. The population base surrounding TV is not dense enough to allow for similar support groups. This provision allows those affected in the area to simply sit in a chair in a recreation center in a meeting and listen to a speaker and share their issues with others similarly situated. These "guests" will not be making tee times and will not be playing pool or bocce and will not be using the swimming pools.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

I am not sure where I stand on this issue. On one hand, I want to be a good neighbor (even with non-Villagers), share the wealth a little, and show off “our stuff” to some extent. For some things, we actively encourage non-Villagers to come and participate (i.e. restaurants, shops, bar huts on the squares, etc.) On the other hand, I do pay amenity fees so I have a proprietary interest in protecting my investment and keeping “my” facilities free for my use.

In this particular instance, some make it sound as if the AAC has allowed non-residents free use of all our facilities and that is just not the case. What they have approved is for medical support groups (i.e. Diabetics, Alzheimer’s, AA, Hearing Loss, etc.) support groups formed by Villagers and meeting at Village recreation centers to allow up to ten non-village residents who are members or potential members of their group to attend their group meetings. That’s it! That’s the extent they get to use our facilities – attend a support group meeting. They don’t get to swim in our pools, use our pool tables, use our pickle ball courts, none of that – just attend a medical support group meeting at one of our recreation centers. I find it a little difficult to work up a lot of opposition to something that reasonable. In fact, we have always done a little bit of that sort of thing when we (as The Villages) sponsor state-wide events such as the Senior Olympics or even when we let The Villages schools use some of our sports facilities (i.e. their swim team).

On the other hand, some of us think this is starting a bad precedent and may mushroom into something a lot bigger. I do not think that is an unreasonable concern – in fact, it is one of my concerns and it has been since the Developer and Village government gave away complete and free access to all our facilities to another group of non-Villagers – the residents of Freedom Pointe. They did that to make a good selling point for Freedom Pointe – as a resident there you get full access to all TV facilities. My concern is that if you can sell it (or give it away) to one group, what is to prevent them from selling it to another group like all residents of Stonecrest or Spruce Creek South or Water Oaks or any other retirement community. Unfortunately, I think the “bad precedent” is already set.

But I diverge from the main point – the recent AAC decision. Although somewhat concerned over the precedent this sets, I am enough of a “good neighbor” to see the wisdom of allowing non-Villagers to attend medical support group meetings at TV facilities. For now, I will put my trust in the AAC to ride herd on this to make sure it doesn’t get out of hand and that the “exceptions” are only granted for a relatively good cause. If I ever see it start to become a carte blanche policy to allow non-TV residents free rein to our facilities, or anything even approaching that, I will be at the head of the protest line.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.