Grandkids visiting this weekend-ideas

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Default Grandkids visiting this weekend-ideas

Our 4 and 6 year old Grandkids (boys) will be visiting a few days this weekend. Any good ideas to keep them busy that you may have used or heard about in the local area. We will not have enough time to go to 'Wally World'. How about the water park at Silver Springs? Anyone been there lately with some helpful hints or other places not to far away?

Thanks, Jerry
Old 07-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Grandkids visiting this weekend-ideas

The miniature golf at the driving range South of the intersection of Rolling Acres Road and 466 is very nice. Also the play ground South of where Whiskey Creek used to be is great for a golf cart ride and stop.

Also the petting zoo and the jungle ride at Silver Springs is great. I think that Silver Springs is great for children of that age. We have not been to the water park at Silver Springs. I would think that the neighborhood pools would be hard to beat for kid that are 4 and 6.

It seems to me after seeing our Grandkids enjoy The Villages they love the golf carts and the neighborhood pools. By the time they go there then a nap then to the town square in the golf cart and back home not only are they done so are you.

We have not done the summer camp but here it is great.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Veteran member

I would recommend Silver Springs. My granddaughters are coming down in three weeks and that is where we plan to take them for a day. If the weather is nice we will also do the water park.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Sage

IT's rather far, but we took our granddaughter to Busch Gardens in Tampa last week and then Seaworld today. I am dog tired. I have to say that the whale show @ Seaworld was magnificent. The young female trainer jumped in with Shamu. They went underwater together for what seemed like a long time only to break the surface with the girl on his nose. They went straight up in the air. It was so beautiful. To my amazement,I actually got tears in my eyes due to the sheer beauty of the whale and girl together.. It was just awesome. We loved the show.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Don't forget the local Uncle Donald's farm. It's a little dirty because all the animals are outside but my grandson loved it! Go figure...he's only 3...lol.

Then there's the boat ride on Lake Miona at LSL. Kids love that. I also take bread to the dock there (along the boardwalk) and feed the turtles and fish. Kids love that, too!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Gold member

I have to agree with Sam...Sea World is the best....I took our 5 and 6 year old granddaughters there in March and 7 yr old grandson in April....totally exciting experience and the whale show is the best animal show I have ever seen. As Sam said the interaction between the whale and the trainers is awesome in the true sense of the word.
We bought a fun pass and that allows you unlimited visits for a year. $67.00 for adults $57.00 for children.
We liked it so much we will take ourselves back without children in the fall. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM

We do not have children or grandchildren, however I want to add visiting Sea World this summer was a fantastic experience. In other words even if you do not have kids in tow any adult who loves animals/wildlife will love Sea World. I also was moved to tears during the show with the whales as well as the dolphin show.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Sage

Msn, I am so happy to hear that you got emotional as well. I sat there feeling like a country bumpkin. I've been exposed to many wonderful, different experiences, yet that really affected me. I was quite surprised at my reaction. I would go to Seaworld again just for that show.
I also loved "Soaring" at Epcot. 3 and 6 year olds may not be ready for Soaring, or...
it may just get their brain synapses to duplicate!!
Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Platinum member

Soaring is my favorite ride!!! Sea World is amazing! I enjoy all the attractions and am very fortunate to have visited very often!! Epcot is my favorite!
On Topic: My grand is here for a night this weekend (3 1/2) and we will go feed the ducks, swim at the pool, have lunch, golf cart rides all day, smell flowers, go see WALL-E, Eat dinner, dance somewhere, repeat on Sunday. She loves The Villages!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

I think Sea World is the best park. My grandson didn't want to leave.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

As allways , I agree with sam.. The whale raising the girl brought tears to my eyes as it brought back memories ...
My sixth grade math teacher (a very large woman) used to hold me over her head upside down trying to teach me to invert fractions......
I get kind of choked up thinking about it......... ;D ;D

Sam will steer you right fumar
Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01
Don't forget the local Uncle Donald's farm. It's a little dirty because all the animals are outside but my grandson loved it! Go figure...he's only 3...lol.

Then there's the boat ride on Lake Miona at LSL. Kids love that. I also take bread to the dock there (along the boardwalk) and feed the turtles and fish. Kids love that, too!
Bright,

What IS Uncle Donalds farm? I have passed the sign for it a gazillion times and often wondered about it. :dontknow:

I think all grandsons love dirt, mine is 5 and the dirtier he is the happier. Im sure hes going to love Uncle Donalds Farm.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Nonie

Kids love it! They have hands on milkings and hayrides. I also know that The Villages Elementary School takes a field trip there every year.

Here are websites about the farm:
http://www.florida-secrets.com/Uniqu...onaldsFarm.htm

http://www.ocala.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSS&source=RSS

http://newsletter.pringle.com/newsletter/0708/3.asp

Here's an advertisement:
Uncle Donald's Farm
Kids of all ages enjoy at Uncle Donald’s Farm, which offers a view of what country life is really like, with all the cattle rearing, ducks, rabbits and horses. Though entertaining, it is also a very informative experience for the children. The petting area of the farm has domesticated animals that children can see, touch and even feed. There are chicken, pheasants, ducks, ostriches and emus in the Poultry Patch.

Visitors enjoy an old-fashioned hayride through the farm, to see the llamas and ostriches. The farm is also a wildlife rehabilitation center and you can view over 20 species of native wildlife, including birds of prey, the Florida Panther and reptiles. The farm is open from Tuesday to Saturday, from 10 AM to 4 PM.

But..remember...it is all outdoors so it is HOT and a little dirty. But like you said, kids love getting dirty. Just bring plenty of water to drink.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Sage

Thankyou so much Bright!! It was right in my back yard when the kids were down visiting and I didnt even know it!!! Sounds like a great place to spend the day with the grands :bigthumbsup:

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Don't forget to look at Alligator Land (I don't think that name is correct but it is Alligator something)...very large park....very well done....very educational.....lottsa alligators from all over the world. Other water animals also as well as shows and exhibitions.

Try it they will like it.

BTK
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.