St Augustine Grass

Old 04-26-2024, 11:13 AM
Default St Augustine Grass

Any thoughts on St Augustine grass migrating to the neighbors Yard. Cant be the first time this is a topic .. they are complaining and the grass was here when we bought .. its grass it spreads...
Old 04-26-2024, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,806 Times in 1,262 Posts

///

Last edited by Altavia; 04-26-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:59 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,105 Times in 302 Posts

You have a neighbor who complains about your grass trespassing in their yard?

Good grief, what a jerk! I'd move!

And while I was waiting for my buyer, I'd buy your grumpy neighbor a can of Roundup and tell him to mind his own business!
Old 04-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Gold member

You know you read and see people like this who complain about just the littlest of things. Sure makes you wonder what their previous life was like before they retired to a more gentle life.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyowl View Post
Any thoughts on St Augustine grass migrating to the neighbors Yard. Cant be the first time this is a topic .. they are complaining and the grass was here when we bought .. its grass it spreads...
Do you live north of 44? What grass type does your neighbor have?
Old 04-26-2024, 02:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,610 Times in 584 Posts

New build has St Aug it’s just weeds that has grass color. New pool installed, landscaper brought in 3 pallets of St Aug to replace what was dug up during build.

It looks like grass, pretty green nice blade grass. I asked him what the difference was. Smiled and said crap builder ST Aug, verses quality ST Aug. if would have known I would have had him replace the rest of the lawn.

Old St Aug sends out the creepers. New sod so far doesn’t have any creepers. Only 2 months old so may change. Our St Aug near LSL didn’t have any creepers either.

Just a side note does your neighbor have his lawn mowed by a company? If so they will bring in every lawn issue on their mowers. Neighbor should be more worried about what’s being put in his yard compared to a few creepers from yours

Last edited by thelegges; 04-26-2024 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
Do you live north of 44? What grass type does your neighbor have?
between the 66'S zoya I think
Old 04-26-2024, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
New build has St Aug it’s just weeds that has grass color. New pool installed, landscaper brought in 3 pallets of St Aug to replace what was dug up during build.

It looks like grass, pretty green nice blade grass. I asked him what the difference was. Smiled and said crap builder ST Aug, verses quality ST Aug. if would have known I would have had him replace the rest of the lawn.

Old St Aug sends out the creepers. New sod so far doesn’t have any creepers. Only 2 months old so may change. Our St Aug near LSL didn’t have any creepers either.

Just a side note does your neighbor have his lawn mowed by a company? If so they will bring in every lawn issue on their mowers. Neighbor should be more worried about what’s being put in his yard compared to a few creepers from yours
Where did you get the idea that St. Augustine is a weed? It most certainly is a grass. Here is an article......
St.Augustine Grass

Our property had two kinds of grass when we purchased our home in 2013; Zoisia and St. Augustine. At this point, the St. Augustine has taken over 80% of the lawn and I cannot be happier. I much prefer the St. Augustine grass. It is heartier than the Zoisia. Most importantly, the Zoisia grass tunnels under the flower beds and pops up everywhere in the flower beds. It is a royal PIA to keep that grass out of where it is not supposed to be. St. Augustine grass, OTOH, travels on top when it encroaches the flower beds. St. Augustine grass is easy peasy to keep out of the flower beds. St. Augustine also remains a deep green color all year round. The Zoisia grass turns brown in the winter months when it goes dormant.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,610 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Where did you get the idea that St. Augustine is a weed? It most certainly is a grass. Here is an article......
St.Augustine Grass

Our property had two kinds of grass when we purchased our home in 2013; Zoisia and St. Augustine. At this point, the St. Augustine has taken over 80% of the lawn and I cannot be happier. I much prefer the St. Augustine grass. It is heartier than the Zoisia. Most importantly, the Zoisia grass tunnels under the flower beds and pops up everywhere in the flower beds. It is a royal PIA to keep that grass out of where it is not supposed to be. St. Augustine grass, OTOH, travels on top when it encroaches the flower beds. St. Augustine grass is easy peasy to keep out of the flower beds. St. Augustine also remains a deep green color all year round. The Zoisia grass turns brown in the winter months when it goes dormant.
When one’s yard has been Kentucky Blue Grass, that feels like walking on velvet, barefoot. Your kids and grands crawled on it, played barefoot, laying on it to watch the clouds go by.

However If you read my post the sod that the builder put down was like weeds that looked green. Nothing like our St Augustine at the other Four houses in TV.

When you look at the half of builder sod (green sparse sharp wide blade that resembles weeds) The newly installed St Augustine that looks like grass, you would make the same comment the builder sod looks like green weeds.
Your explanation is what StAugustine should look like, not what some sod looks like in some areas.

Been here since 2007 so kind of know what St Augustine should look like. We take care of our lawns so no cross contamination from lawn guys mowers.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,105 Times in 302 Posts

Quote:

Well that's nonsense. Practically the only way to propagate St Augustine is the creepers. Its nearly impossible to grow from seed, which is why it is nearly a mono-culture. "Builders" St.Augustine comes from the same sod farm as "Mowers" St.Augustine.

And it's the best warm-season, low-maintenance grass you can own. Blue Grass is better, but it doesn't grow here. St Augustine grows in the shade and out-competes most of the weeds that infect it, unlike slower-growing grasses like Zoizia or Centipede. It's also fairly disease-resistant.

If you came here from Bermuda grass country, you'd appreciate the glory of a St. Augustine yard!
Old 04-27-2024, 10:04 AM
Default details

Quote:
When one’s yard has been Kentucky Blue Grass, that feels like walking on velvet, barefoot. Your kids and grands crawled on it, played barefoot, laying on it to watch the clouds go by.

However If you read my post the sod that the builder put down was like weeds that looked green. Nothing like our St Augustine at the other Four houses in TV.

When you look at the half of builder sod (green sparse sharp wide blade that resembles weeds) The newly installed St Augustine that looks like grass, you would make the same comment the builder sod looks like green weeds.
Your explanation is what StAugustine should look like, not what some sod looks like in some areas.

Been here since 2007 so kind of know what St Augustine should look like. We take care of our lawns so no cross contamination from lawn guys mowers.
Any idea what the difference is? Different type of St. Augustine grass? Knowing different SA grass is "different", is good, but knowing what to look for, or specify when buying would really help.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:14 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,394 Times in 1,458 Posts

Each village has a particular type of grass and it is not supposed to be changed except maybe in the historic section. If your neighbor doesn't have St. Augustine one of the homes changed it at some point.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:

I know what you mean about nice soft grass to walk and lay on. My sister from NY comes to Florida and calls our grass "killer grass" because it is so much more courser than the Kentucky Blue up north. That beautiful soft carpet like grass would probably not survive the hot summers we have here in Florida.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:21 AM

Saint Augustine grass; aka wimpy grass. Too much water it gets fungus. Too little water it dies. Chinch bugs and grub worms take it out for dinner. It can’t handle traffic. Even can get a virus call Saint Augustine Decline (SAD) for which the cure is rip it out and replace. The only advantage is it grows in the shade.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,806 Times in 1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
Saint Augustine grass; aka wimpy grass. Too much water it gets fungus. Too little water it dies. Chinch bugs and grub worms take it out for dinner. It can’t handle traffic. Even can get a virus call Saint Augustine Decline (SAD) for which the cure is rip it out and replace. The only advantage is it grows in the shade.
The Villages has no problems keeping it looking good in the common areas. Wish they would share what they do?

Tags
grass, augustine, topic, bought, complaining

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.