doggie door in slider

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Default doggie door in slider

Doggie doors in the lanai enclosure seem to be very common. I'll find someone to do that.

I did a pretty good search and have not found anything, so here is the question.

We are looking for another, additional, doggy door in the slider that goes out to the lanai. We heard somewhere (can't recall from who) that there are replacement glass panels that go in place of the NON-SLIDING side of the door, and the doggie door is in that panel. That way you still have full width on the sliding side. Does anyone have any info on that style doggie door? Has anyone seen one, or done it?

Don & Kaz
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Platinum member
Default Try this - - -

This isn't exactly what you described, but it allows the slider to be fully functional
Pet Door Design - Patio Pet Door Conversion System - Home

Pet Door Design-The Villages

The Villages, FL 32162
(800) 373-9340
Email: paul@petdoordesign.com

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
This isn't exactly what you described, but it allows the slider to be fully functional
Pet Door Design - Patio Pet Door Conversion System - Home

Pet Door Design-The Villages

The Villages, FL 32162
(800) 373-9340
Email: paul@petdoordesign.com
BTW, for the folks that have looked at those full panel doggie doors .... the prices you see are for the glass only. Add on $100+ for shipping and another $100+ for installation, at least $50 more for double pane glass and you are knocking on $900-ish total. I did call one company and that is how it was explained to me. So the price you see on-line of $550 is just the beginning!

Don & Kaz
Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Platinum member

We have the kind that just snaps into the frame at the side of the slider. You can see though it, and it is as tall as the slider. Your actual door opening will be smaller than it was, but kitty can come and go to the lanai whenever he wants to, and we can still close the slider or leave it open.

The sell this kind at Home Depot back in the window section for around $135. It works for us!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-15-2012, 02:11 PM

I have seen those but I fear the restricted opening will bother DW (Darling Wife) and I. We are not large folks, but the door will only open about 2 feet with one of those in place. I guess it is worth a try at only a buck thirty. Another poster in another thread said that rats and snakes may try to get in. If we do a doggie door, we'll also do one out of the lanai. This is for dogs, not cats, and we have a CYV.
Don & Kaz
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We put a dog door in our new Florida Room (which was the lanai previously) and also in our birdcage. Here are some pics. We have poured cement block villa.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	dog door in screen bridge.jpg
Views:	3550
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	3477   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	dog door villa.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	3478   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	dog door with closure.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	3479   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	villa dog door.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	3480  
Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Default Electric Dog Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Doggie doors in the lanai enclosure seem to be very common. I'll find someone to do that.

I did a pretty good search and have not found anything, so here is the question.

We are looking for another, additional, doggy door in the slider that goes out to the lanai. We heard somewhere (can't recall from who) that there are replacement glass panels that go in place of the NON-SLIDING side of the door, and the doggie door is in that panel. That way you still have full width on the sliding side. Does anyone have any info on that style doggie door? Has anyone seen one, or done it?

Don & Kaz
You may want to look into an electric dog door (by Solo). We have had one for our beagle for the last two years and works great. Your dog wears a small magnet on the collar. When within a foot of the door, the door opens automatically, stays open for 5 seconds and closes via gravity. It works on a pulley system. They have model bult in to a slider.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post

Don & Kaz
Haven't heard of that. Would love to find one for our home and our two Boston's.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM

I could not find a drop-in slider panel. I did find a company that makes the glass part, so I presume you could have it installed on either side of the slider. BUT, it is apprx $550 + 150 shipping + 150-ish to install it. So, you are pressing up close to $900 for the replacement glass with doggie door. I'm just going to get out of my seat and let them out. I will have a doggie door put into the lanai screen. One poster also said that snakes and rats may find a way in the doggie door into the house, so that was another minus.
Don
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.