Sumter County Library Advisory Board meeting next week

Old 04-24-2024, 11:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,331 Times in 602 Posts
Default Sumter County Library Advisory Board meeting next week

About a month ago, there was a thread about the Sumter County Library. Several people were disappointed with the library and especially their limited selection of ebooks and that they don't use the Libby app.

As far as I can tell, the Sumter County Library Advisory Board meets only twice a year. The dates are on the first Thursday of May and November.

I called the library to find out when and where the Board will meet. The library told me that they knew nothing about the Advisory Board and suggested that I call the number on the county website. I then called that number (see link below) and they transferred me to another number. When that person picked up, I found out they had transferred me back to the library - which had just told me that they don't know anything about the Library Advisory Board and to call the county number. I then called the county back and the woman attempted to find some information but she told me that she worked at a call center and knew nothing about the Advisory Board.

Library Advisory Board | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

I have done some further research and it appears that the Advisory Board will meet on May 2, 2024, at The Villages Service Center at Pinellas Plaza, Room 102 at 10 AM.

It should be open to the public. If you are unhappy with the services, this is your chance to provide feedback and make suggestions.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
About a month ago, there was a thread about the Sumter County Library. Several people were disappointed with the library and especially their limited selection of ebooks and that they don't use the Libby app.

As far as I can tell, the Sumter County Library Advisory Board meets only twice a year. The dates are on the first Thursday of May and November.

I called the library to find out when and where the Board will meet. The library told me that they knew nothing about the Advisory Board and suggested that I call the number on the county website. I then called that number (see link below) and they transferred me to another number. When that person picked up, I found out they had transferred me back to the library - which had just told me that they don't know anything about the Library Advisory Board and to call the county number. I then called the county back and the woman attempted to find some information but she told me that she worked at a call center and knew nothing about the Advisory Board.

Library Advisory Board | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

I have done some further research and it appears that the Advisory Board will meet on May 2, 2024, at The Villages Service Center at Pinellas Plaza, Room 102 at 10 AM.

It should be open to the public. If you are unhappy with the services, this is your chance to provide feedback and make suggestions.
You should double check if the meeting is open to the public. The last I heard the library services had been outsourced to a company. This is just for Sumter County not Lake nor Marion.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
You should double check if the meeting is open to the public. The last I heard the library services had been outsourced to a company. This is just for Sumter County not Lake nor Marion.
I asked about that. The person from the county “thought” they were open to the public.

I am pretty sure they are open to the public. That is because the notice for a prior meeting says “Any person requiring reasonable accommodation at this meeting because of, disability, physical impairment, or interpretation needs should contact the county administrator.”

There was also a public forum on the proposed agenda.

If they were closed to the public, I doubt if they would have that on the website.

And the library is out sourced.

Sumter County Library System | Library Systems & Services
Old 04-24-2024, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,125 Times in 5,366 Posts

Darn have doc appt or think I would attend.

Strange they open the new library and pretty much only newer books with lots of empty shelf space. Never have seen a library like this.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Darn have doc appt or think I would attend.

Strange they open the new library and pretty much only newer books with lots of empty shelf space. Never have seen a library like this.
It would be nice if the meetings were on zoom. More people could participate.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

If it's a public building and they're holding a meeting about a function (library) that serves the county, except for executive session....it has to be open to the public. With necessary accommodations. Otherwise it would violate open meeting laws or in FL, Sunshine Laws I believe.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
If it's a public building and they're holding a meeting about a function (library) that serves the county, except for executive session....it has to be open to the public. With necessary accommodations. Otherwise it would violate open meeting laws or in FL, Sunshine Laws I believe.
I hope that fits but I am not a Florida licensed attorney. Not sure how it applies when a private business is running the county library system.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I hope that fits but I am not a Florida licensed attorney. Not sure how it applies when a private business is running the county library system.
I'm not either. Its a public library using a county approved vendor to run the operation. Doesn't mean the publicly funded building becomes private as a result.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:11 PM
Platinum member

Has anyone ever been to one of the Advisory Board meetings?
Old 04-25-2024, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,416 Times in 2,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
I'm not either. Its a public library using a county approved vendor to run the operation. Doesn't mean the publicly funded building becomes private as a result.
Open meetings/Sunshine laws apply to the body holding the meeting and not the subject of the meeting or the meeting place.

I have no idea whether the Sumter County Library Advisory Board is subject to the provisions of the Sunshine law.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-25-2024, 06:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Open meetings/Sunshine laws apply to the body holding the meeting and not the subject of the meeting or the meeting place.

I have no idea whether the Sumter County Library Advisory Board is subject to the provisions of the Sunshine law.
First item on this meetings agenda is Sunshine Law and Public records training for the board.....

Agenda - 11/02/2023

Tags
library, board, advisory, county, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.