Gas range emissions

Old 04-24-2024, 09:26 AM
Default Gas range emissions

Coming to the TOTV brain trust once again. Bought a new range. Wanted a double oven and had a Samsung electric range w/ double oven in 2 prior residences. Here in TV, we don't have electric hook up for our range, and the cost of installing electric is pretty high these days. So we bought the Samsung gas equivalent.

When using the range on convection setting (which is the only option for one of the double ovens), whatever is being emitted in the way of fumes or smell or whatever you want to call it makes is difficult for me to breath. Obviously making the oven unusable. When using the other oven in normal mode, we run all the fans in the house and open the front and back door to create a cross breeze. Even this procedure doesn't resolve the issue with using the convection setting.

We started trying to return the oven inside of 30 days of purchase, when we realized this wasn't just initial use burn-off. Home Depot wouldn't authorize the return. Samsung won't either.

At this point, we know it's going to be junked and replaced.

What I am looking for is any experience you have with reporting a product safety issue. I have a case open with U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission; they don't seem to be interested, but I am staying focused with them.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-24-2024, 09:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,978 Times in 757 Posts

Gas appliance exhaust should be vented to the outside just like a gas water heater or furnace and gas dryer.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Gas appliance exhaust should be vented to the outside just like a gas water heater or furnace and gas dryer.
Wouldn’t the installer of the stove know that?

Last edited by coffeebean; 04-24-2024 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:14 AM

If the house was made for use with a gas range, it will have a vent to the outside, normally the roof.
If the installer didn't install it correctly, this could be an issue.

Also: Often new gas appliances have an oily smell for some time due to the factory (manufacturing processes). The oil should disappear after a period of annoyance.

If you smell rotten eggs (a warning gas added to natural gas so you'll know you have a leak), you should stop using immediately, and call the appliance company or an appliance repairman. Make sure they tell you they can do warranty work (no charge to you) or hunt for someone else.
Don't agree to pay $39 to have someone come to your house and tell you they do warranty repairs but this will cost $3000 to fix it, and then you can bill the appliance manufacturer (modus operandi for Frank Gay). I fell for this exactly once.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:15 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,359 Times in 1,453 Posts

Do other members of your household have trouble breathing when using the oven or is it just you? If so, it may be an allergic reaction to what may be harmless odors. Just one possible explanation.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,469 Posts

IMO If new the new stove will emit new burn off smell. That smell should burn off and go away? I guess SHOULD being optional word? I have Samsung gas stove. Sometimes I smell perfume in gas. I took my lighter and ran it around burners and found couple shutoff valves leaking enough to flash flame. Don’t do it every time and seep small enough it won’t stay lite. I know that’s also been problem with Samsungs? If I replace it I’ll get electric, luckily my house has 220v plug for electric stove. I wish my water heater had 220v plug. I prefer electric water heaters cause they are simple to replace.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
From Google

it legal to have a gas stove without a vent?
There's no national code for gas venting in the United States. Generally, in the U.S., you don't have to vent a residential gas range to the outside. But, we recommend that you buy a range hood to vent contaminants from your gas range to outside your home.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,258 Posts

Have you done any painting lately?

I've noticed something like that after refinishing wood floors or staining furniture.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:28 PM

Gas stoves are not like water heaters and furnaces, they are not required to be vented to the outside. In fact they do not have their own vents at all.

If you are referring to the exhaust vent in the range hood or microwave then of course it's best if they are vented to the outside but that will not fix the OP's problem because the stove still vents into the kitchen before it can be vented too the exterior.

My first though is that when the unit is first used it is burning off oils or other item left over from the manufacturing process. Of course to be safe the OP should consult with an appliance repair person to make sure the unit is installed and working properly.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post
Coming to the TOTV brain trust once again. Bought a new range. Wanted a double oven and had a Samsung electric range w/ double oven in 2 prior residences. Here in TV, we don't have electric hook up for our range, and the cost of installing electric is pretty high these days. So we bought the Samsung gas equivalent.

When using the range on convection setting (which is the only option for one of the double ovens), whatever is being emitted in the way of fumes or smell or whatever you want to call it makes is difficult for me to breath. Obviously making the oven unusable. When using the other oven in normal mode, we run all the fans in the house and open the front and back door to create a cross breeze. Even this procedure doesn't resolve the issue with using the convection setting.

We started trying to return the oven inside of 30 days of purchase, when we realized this wasn't just initial use burn-off. Home Depot wouldn't authorize the return. Samsung won't either.

What I am looking for is any experience you have with reporting a product safety issue. I have a case open with U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission; they don't seem to be interested, but I am staying focused with them.

Any other ideas?
My gas oven that came new with my spec home emits gas fumes every time I turn it on. I called TECO several times. The first time they wanted me to vacate the home and send a person over immediately. I wasn't in any danger that I knew of, and I wanted to get on with my dinner preparations. By the time the person with his gauge showed up, the fumes were gone. The second time I called TECO, a rep came out to my home and said it was normal and not to worry about it. But I do worry about it. I don't know what to do at this point.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiRowen View Post
My gas oven that came new with my spec home emits gas fumes every time I turn it on. I called TECO several times. The first time they wanted me to vacate the home and send a person over immediately. I wasn't in any danger that I knew of, and I wanted to get on with my dinner preparations. By the time the person with his gauge showed up, the fumes were gone. The second time I called TECO, a rep came out to my home and said it was normal and not to worry about it. But I do worry about it. I don't know what to do at this point.
When turn gas on the igniter may not lite gas immediately. Any delay you will smell stink the put in gas so you can smell gas leak. My Samsung nearly every time don’t immediately lite gas and get faint smell of gas. Now if smell gas with stove off and you haven’t used it for awhile then I would be concerned providing all th e burner knobs are completely off.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post

Any other ideas?
Instead of junking your nearly new gas stove, why not donate it to a charity. Habitat for Humanity comes to mind. And I'm sure there are others that would put it to good use.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:37 PM
Default Do homes in the villages have hoods?

When we stayed in Newell on our Lifestyle Visit, as I recall, it seemed as if the microwave above the range had a vent. I did not study it, but I assumed it was only a filter device that did not vent to the outside.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:08 PM

Often a new appliance will have a plastic film over the touch panel and on the oven window. These are meant to protect the appliance during shipping.

Did you remove the plastic films?
Old 04-24-2024, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

You can purchase a gas detector for under $40. Better to do this then just assume.

Tags
oven, range, samsung, electric, double

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.