Gas or electric cart?

Old 05-05-2024, 08:06 AM
Default Gas or electric cart?

Closing on home next week, next purchase will be a golf cart. We will be "Snow Flakes" so only visiting a few times a year for a couple of months each time. The main question: Gas or electric cart please? Thanks
Old 05-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURLYSANDY View Post
Closing on home next week, next purchase will be a golf cart. We will be "Snow Flakes" so only visiting a few times a year for a couple of months each time. The main question: Gas or electric cart please? Thanks
Test drive both and determine your needs. Think about how far you might want to drive the cart. For me not fun to ride 30+ miles in a day. Most new electric carts have better range, but if you have mileage range anxiety, gas might be a better option.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,081 Posts

Personal preference. Either will do just fine.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-05-2024, 10:19 AM

We opted for electric - Lithium Ion, not lead cell. Range is supposedly 50 to 60 miles, but we haven't pushed it over 30. At 20 MPH, that's 1.5 hours in a golf cart. Once was enough for that.

No maintenance, although we had ours in the shop for a couple of times for battery charging issues. We have an Evolution model. At the time, they were cheaper than the Villages Golf Cart electrics. Neighbor bought an electric Starr for about $9,000 more than what we paid. It is better built, but he has had it in the shop a couple of times for some issues as well.

For a golf cart that never goes more than 30 miles round trip, it makes sense vs gas. But we also have two cars, so not using it for much else other than golf and the occasional trip to the square closest to us.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,213 Times in 2,802 Posts

Given your stated circumstances gas is the clear choice. You most definitely don’t want very very expensive lithium batteries sitting idle roasting in a hot garage for extended periods of absence. Get a gas cart, use ethanol free gas, leave the tank full and the battery on a trickle charger/maintainer when not there, and leave your home worry free knowing your cart will be good to go when you return. Just remember to check the air in your tires when returning.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,332 Times in 4,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Personal preference. Either will do just fine.
Agreed... Try them both, see what works for you.

Personally, I prefer the Yamaha QuieTech (we're "snowflakes", as well...) Last Fall, I bought a used 2017, Texas Highback seats, liquid lights, etc... We're quite satisfied...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-05-2024, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Given your stated circumstances gas is the clear choice. You most definitely don’t want very very expensive lithium batteries sitting idle roasting in a hot garage for extended periods of absence. Get a gas cart, use ethanol free gas, leave the tank full and the battery on a trickle charger/maintainer when not there, and leave your home worry free knowing your cart will be good to go when you return. Just remember to check the air in your tires when returning.
Excellent advice, if you buy a gas car. But we also add a squirt of "Stabil" to the tank when we're gone for a while...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-05-2024, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Excellent advice, if you buy a gas car. But we also add a squirt of "Stabil" to the tank when we're gone for a while...
Totally unnecessary if you use ethanol free gas. Stabil helps treat ethanol related problems, and definitely helps if you use gas with ethanol, but there is no solution more effective than avoiding what causes the problems.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Totally unnecessary if you use ethanol free gas. Stabil helps treat ethanol related problems, and definitely helps if you use gas with ethanol, but there is no solution more effective than avoiding what causes the problems.
Occasionally, I'll use regular gas. It costs pennies for a squirt of Stabil. Cheap security... It's certainly cheaper than using Ethanol Free gas all of the time...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-05-2024, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Occasionally, I'll use regular gas. It costs pennies for a squirt of Stabil. Cheap security... It's certainly cheaper than using Ethanol Free gas all of the time...
Your definitely are correct that ethanol gas is cheaper, unless you have to fix a gummed up fuel delivery system caused by ethanol. You could be one of the lucky ones that never has a problem, or not! I view the xtra cost of ethanol free gas as buying piece of mind knowing my carts will always work fine after extended periods of non use. The last thing I want to deal with when returning to our Village’s home is golf cart problems.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Agreed... Try them both, see what works for you.

Personally, I prefer the Yamaha QuieTech (we're "snowflakes", as well...) Last Fall, I bought a used 2017, Texas Highback seats, liquid lights, etc... We're quite satisfied...
I prefer my lithium but primarily for the seats. Quieter, saves money, and better brakes but really only small advantages compared to the comfort. Put the same seats on the Yamaha and it would be a toss up

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-05-2024, 01:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Given the circumstances and the extra care you describe for a gas cart, a lithium cart is the better choice. *IF* the batteries are not fully charged after the long absence then just plug it in for a couple hours and you’re good to go. In my case they have always remained charged.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-05-2024, 06:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,214 Times in 766 Posts

Either one will work for you.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,986 Times in 2,490 Posts

Quote:
For us that run our carts everyday ethanol free was of money especially now when 87 octane 3.50 or more. I could imagine how much ethanol free costs? Now it I’m going to store it for month’s different story.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURLYSANDY View Post
Haha, you’ll be snow “birds” not flakes. But to answer your question!! EZ- Go Lithium battery is what I chose. The second I got into the gas one, I could smell the fumes and didn’t like the sound, even though it was “quiet tec” it wasn’t quite quiet enough for me. But the fumes… I couldn’t stand them. I’ve taken my cart out for as long as I could stand to be in a cart and didn’t even use 1/2 the charge. Battery life isn’t something that you should be concerned with, IMO but definitely try them all and see what you like best.

Tags
cart, gas, electric, main, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.