2020 Yamaha QuiteTech II Golf Tech Questions Including Oil Change

Old 05-03-2024, 07:50 AM
Default 2020 Yamaha QuiteTech II Golf Tech Questions Including Oil Change

I got the golf cart at an estate sale. I was told the golf cart had low mileage because the owners got colvid and passed away about a year or so later.

There is no mileage or hour meter and no oil filter. I’ve been told some golf carts are converted after being used by golf courses, others are originally designed for 55+ communities. Unknown but is there any way to know if it was converted or original for 55+ communities?

There is a debate about conventional or synthetic oil for golf carts. What are your opinions and reasons why one should use one or the other?

Last edited by MikeVillages; 05-03-2024 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,986 Times in 2,490 Posts

There is a debate about conventional or synthetic oil for golf carts

No debate oil is oil but synthetic better.

IMO Yamaha golf cart engine’s are simple lawn mower design engine. No need for filter, BUT, you need change oil at minimum once year, twice if heavily used.

If your cart village ready? Meaning it already been modified from golf course cart.

Reall y no way telling how many hours or miles on cart other than looking at condition.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,332 Times in 4,332 Posts

If you have an in dash gas gauge, there will be an "hours used" number. I don't believe it can be reset.

Also, if it came with a speedometer on the steering wheel shaft, it will keep a running account of the total miles.

-Tom Petty
Old 05-03-2024, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,266 Times in 2,288 Posts

I would have the whole cart gone over by a golf cart service, I have used Todd casey and Willies. Have them look over the cart, do any obvious maintenance.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:03 AM

If this 2020 Yamaha cart does not have an hour meter, then it was what is called a "Fleet Cart". This means it was at some point in its life used on a golf course somewhere. Once it came off lease then they sell these carts to dealers who spruce them up and sell them. You of course have no idea how much use this cart has had in its life.
The Yamaha PTV Personal Transportation Vehicle carts are sold by actual Yamaha dealers like The Villages Golf Cart stores. They all have hour meters.
Old 05-04-2024, 02:40 AM
Gold member

"Synthetic" oil just means the hydrocarbon bonds are saturated. Use any small engine 30 oil like YamaLube, Kohler, Honda, B&S. Don't use automotive ILSAC oil because it is inadequate for air cooled and high stress golf cart engines. ILSAC oil is barely adequate for automobile engines Yamaha recommends 1200 mile oil changes.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
"Synthetic" oil just means the hydrocarbon bonds are saturated. Use any small engine 30 oil like YamaLube, Kohler, Honda, B&S. Don't use automotive ILSAC oil because it is inadequate for air cooled and high stress golf cart engines. ILSAC oil is barely adequate for automobile engines Yamaha recommends 1200 mile oil changes.
Thank you, I wondered why yamaha does not recommend synthetic oil. What about Super Tech Full Synthetic SAE 10W-30 4-Stroke ATV Motor Oil which is what I used when I changed the oil? It is a little expensive but only 1qt is required.

PS
I sent the old oil for a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) and will post the results here.

Last edited by MikeVillages; 05-04-2024 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 05-04-2024, 05:04 AM
Sage

Read your owners manual regarding oil type and frequency of change. If you don't have one then you can download it from Yamaha. You will probably see reference to an outdated API rating such as SG. The viscosity rating will be 10W-30 although I believe the later models might recommend 10W-40. I use Mobil1 5W-30 but any contemporary oil that meets or exceeds their recommendations (probably API SN or better) will work fine. Regarding frequency of change, I change the oil every 50 hours of engine runtime (about 900 miles) and is a bit more frequent than Yamaha recommends but is a convenient number to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVillages View Post
I got the golf cart at an estate sale. I was told the golf cart had low mileage because the owners got colvid and passed away about a year or so later.

There is no mileage or hour meter and no oil filter. I’ve been told some golf carts are converted after being used by golf courses, others are originally designed for 55+ communities. Unknown but is there any way to know if it was converted or original for 55+ communities?

There is a debate about conventional or synthetic oil for golf carts. What are your opinions and reasons why one should use one or the other?
Old 05-04-2024, 05:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Thank you, I wondered why yamaha does not recommend synthetic oil. What about Super Tech Full Synthetic SAE 10W-30 4-Stroke ATV Motor Oil which is what I used when I changed the oil? It is a little expensive but only 1qt is required.

PS
I sent the old oil for a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) and will post the results here.
Saturated "synthetic" oils have lower lubricity and miscibility than a scrubbed oil but I don't know why they state not to use synthetic oil. That oil is fine but a straight SAE 30 (This is Florida - not Minnesota) would have no VII rubber to breakdown. ILSAC oils have too low HTHS and do not have proper EP wear additives so use a 4-stroke oil designed for high heat/high stress. There is nothing more stressful than a golf cart engine at startup from a complete stop...You can just hear that metal slapping No big deal...Just change oil on time is key.

Last edited by MorTech; 05-04-2024 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2024, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:

PS

Didn’t know Yamaha refined oil?
Old 05-04-2024, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:

PS

I know why? They make money putting their name on it. Yamaha don’t refine oil. They do control the formula and contract with there name on can.

Golf cart engine governed at low RPM not high stress, now lawn mower engine mowing yards are high stressed.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:29 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies, help, & and information.

Before buying this used Golf Cart I shopped at “The Villages Golf Cars” & “Villages Discount Golf Carts". They are both expensive IMO. The first one is the only Yamaha dealership in the area meaning they are the only where you can buy a new Yamaha. I believe the second one are selling converted fleet carts.

When I asked about doing my own routine maintenance, both talked about the great service they provide. They don’t understand that some people get satisfaction doing their own maintenance as I do.

I did not find any used golf carts I was satisfied with until I found this one, about a year later. Too bad it does not have an hour meter but we are happy with the one we got. I’m in the process with installing seat belts.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your replies, help, & and information.

Before buying this used Golf Cart I shopped at “The Villages Golf Cars” & “Villages Discount Golf Carts". They are both expensive IMO. The first one is the only Yamaha dealership in the area meaning they are the only where you can buy a new Yamaha. I believe the second one are selling converted fleet carts.

When I asked about doing my own routine maintenance, both talked about the great service they provide. They don’t understand that some people get satisfaction doing their own maintenance as I do.

I did not find any used golf carts I was satisfied with until I found this one, about a year later. Too bad it does not have an hour meter but we are happy with the one we got. I’m in the process with installing seat belts.
Like you, I do my own golf cart maintenance and usually at one year intervals at a minimum. 6 month if heavy usage. Regularly used carts in TV would be considered heavy usage, in my opinion. The first few times were a bit of a learning curve. Now I'm done in about 15 minutes, tops. I use Don Plowman's maintenance schedule. If you aren't aware of him, he is one of (if not THE) premier Yamaha (only) golf cart tuners in the nation. For what it is worth, you have a G29 Yamaha cart if your cart is a 2007-2016 Drive 1 cart. More detailed description below the image.

Here's what I like to do:

Don Plowman's recommended Yamaha golf car maintenance schedule

Credit: Plowman's Carts - Golf Cars - Golf Cars, Golf Carts and Utility

Due to the additional maintenance needed on a G29 as discussed on the image above, here is how you know If you have a G29 or 'Drive' model. In 2007 Yamaha introduced the Yamaha 'Drive' or G29 golf cart which was in production through 2016. The body was still rounded and had the tuning fork logo but the curves and lines changed as did the seats cupholder and top. The G29A was gas and G29E was electric. (Credit: Cunninhamgolfcar.com: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...J1MlorunKJIFnp)

For what it is worth, I learned the hard way that there are front AND rear clutches and I was only annually putting a single pump of grease into the rear clutch. The front one needed it's annual pump also (Sean Connery in Hunt For Red October: one pump please, one pump only)

TIP: It is a serious P.I.T.A. to get under the golf cart and remove panels, etc. or whatever to access the oil drain plug. I use a vacuum oil extractor (link below) and just pull the oil out from the dipstick hole. Easy to take the extractor to an auto parts store to drain and recycle the used oil also.

Amazon.com

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 05-05-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:06 AM

I removed the lower panel on my 2018. It is really only to help with noise and some say it prevents heat from escaping causing more potential issues. For oil removal, I changed the drain plug to: Fumoto F109SX M12-1.5 Sx Series Drain Valve. Makes draining the oil very simple. I collect it in a disposable aluminum foil type cooking pan, pour it back into the bottle that the new oil came out of and drop it off at Walmart Auto center for disposal. Auto parts stores also take it.

I extended the exhaust pipe with Stainless Steel Exhaust Hose to get the exhaust out further back under the cart. Get the length you think you need. I chose the 23.6 inch version as there wasn't anywhere further back to support a longer one.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:46 PM

Great Information ! Thanks.

I’ve been using ethanol free gasoline from Wawa. Does anyone have an estimate on how many hours on the engine based on gas consumption? I have no meter but gas usage should help schedule routine maintenance.

Tags
golf, oil, 55+, mileage, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.