What has happened to Honda, Acura.

Old 05-03-2024, 09:12 AM
Default What has happened to Honda, Acura.

I have a 2018 Acura MDX and I have received a recall notice that the engine may throw a rod bearing (blow up). I also have a recall notice that the fuel pump may stop working. Both abnormalities would render the car unusable. Their advice was to park the vehicle and not bring it in to the dealer, because they don’t have any parts to fix the problems. They will let me know sometime in the future when they will look at the vehicle. Who would buy one of these used, or take it as a trade in knowing that these recalls exist and they don’t have the parts to repair? I can remember when Honda cars were super reliable and lasted forever.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidshinn View Post
I have a 2018 Acura MDX and I have received a recall notice that the engine may throw a rod bearing (blow up). I also have a recall notice that the fuel pump may stop working. Both abnormalities would render the car unusable. Their advice was to park the vehicle and not bring it in to the dealer, because they don’t have any parts to fix the problems. They will let me know sometime in the future when they will look at the vehicle. Who would buy one of these used, or take it as a trade in knowing that these recalls exist and they don’t have the parts to repair? I can remember when Honda cars were super reliable and lasted forever.
Was this a service bulletin or a recall. Recalls almost always require immediate attention. Have a 2020 and do not know if it has same engine(with same problems)
Old 05-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,784 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Was this a service bulletin or a recall. Recalls almost always require immediate attention. Have a 2020 and do not know if it has same engine(with same problems)
Safety Recall - Connecting Rod Bearing (2016 - 2020) | Acura MDX SUV Forums
Old 05-03-2024, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,764 Times in 1,540 Posts

Imagine the tens or hundreds of thousands of recalls sent out by auto corporations, all arriving in mailboxes at the same time. Imagine all the vehicle owners driving down to their local dealers to get the repair done. Now, Imagine the size of the dealership that ALL those parts for all those recalls, and employ ALL the technicians to handle those recalls, and have service bays for all those recalls. Imagine the size of the waiting rooms, restrooms. (Better stop now. This imagining could go on forever.)
Old 05-03-2024, 05:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,114 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
They're both still super reliable and last nearly forever. That said, the factory/manufacturers support for both Honda and Acura is abysmal. Not quite as bad as Nissan/Infiniti, but a close second.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:28 PM

idk, a dealer probably wont give you anything for it as it is 6 years old and recall or not and you could try Carvana but I would just drive it. If you did not get the recall by some method that required you to sign receipt of said notice then I would continue to drive it and if it blows play dumb? I would guess they would make it right with a new motor? I’m curious how they are going to recall fix a rod bearing as that would probably require an oil pan drop or other major repair either way. Look at it this way if you get the recall done you can use that as a plus for the used sale? Either way I would not loose sleep over it. I drive used and usually till it nearly drops title in hand always!
Old 05-03-2024, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,213 Times in 2,802 Posts

They don’t build them like they used to. Nowadays, the focus is on expensive electronics, computer chips, and tracking data that can be sold to third parties instead of reliable driving performance. I bought a new 1998 5 speed manual transmission Acura Integra for commuting to work that drove and handled like a gem, wasn’t loaded with sensors and computer chips, and was ultra reliable for me for 400 thousand miles. Besides regular maintenance and a couple new clutches, it never had a single problem. I gave the car to a nephew who got almost another 100 k out of it without any maintenance. I dread the day I need a new car now, I don’t want to drive a computer on wheel that tracks everything I do.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,986 Times in 2,490 Posts

Quote:
Maybe Hyundai/Kia making them now?
Old 05-03-2024, 10:18 PM
Sage

O, I make sure changing the oil yearly or before? my guess failure rate increased with these 10K miles plus oil change intervals.
Old 05-04-2024, 12:25 PM

Wow, 289,000 vehicles affected. An engine throwing a rod is very serious. I read that one person was on the interstate going 80 mph when his threw a rod. His only had 70,000 miles on it. He said there was oil everywhere and it scared the s#$t out of him.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,112 Times in 305 Posts

I quit buying Hondas when I opened the hood on my 3-year-old 1983 Honda Civic Wagon one day to change the oil, and the hood came off in my hands. Both hinges had broken off, with less than 30,000 miles on it. I put the hood in the back and drove it to the dealer. They refused to fix it under warranty because greasing the hood hinges was apparently a "standard preventative maintenance" item I'd neglected to perform.

I have heard they eventually learned how to make a car that didn't require regular hood hinge maintenance, but I never had the pleasure of owning one, after that experience. Somehow I am not surprised that they now produce cars that throw rods.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:20 AM

Quality went into the toilet after Mr. Honda passed IMO...
Old 05-05-2024, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
Wow, 289,000 vehicles affected. An engine throwing a rod is very serious. I read that one person was on the interstate going 80 mph when his threw a rod. His only had 70,000 miles on it. He said there was oil everywhere and it scared the s#$t out of him.

The V6 rubber band engines.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Maybe Hyundai/Kia making them now?
Have you ever owned a Hyundai or Kia???
Old 05-09-2024, 07:44 PM

Several Hondas years ago, then a gap, then another Honda that was horrible. While being fixed, loaner car died, Replacement also died. Quality seems to be far lower than older cars

Tags
vehicle, parts, notice, recall, don’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.